Index

 

News Archives

Jun 8, 2015

Three Day National Mourning For Flood And Fire Disaster Victims Begins Today


Ghana is from Monday observing a three day national mourning for the more than 150 victims who died last Wednesday in the fire and flood disaster.

Symbolically, all flags are expected to fly at half-mast up till Wednesday.

A good number of people also sustained various degrees of injury and are receiving treatment at different Hospitals in the capital.

Meanwhile, President John Mahama has announced a GH¢ 50 million relief and repair fund.

The President expressed gratitude to political party executives who visited the disaster sites in solidarity.

As an immediate measure, NADMO and the Ghana Armed Forces have put up emergency shelter zones to provide rescue for victims in disaster prone areas.

In a related development, a statement signed by the Minister of Communications, Dr Edward Omane Boamah encourages all Ghanaians and the public to wear black or red arm bands and clothing to mourn with the families of the victims of the disaster.

It adds that the three day mourning will end on Wednesday with a memorial service for the departed near the site of the fire disaster at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle to be attended by President John Dramani Mahama.

It says as people go about their work and other duties during the three days, they should remember the victims and pray for their souls and for strength and comfort for their families and friends.

The statement noted that government has taken responsibility for the hospital bills of all victims of the flood and fire as directed by the President.

In addition, water, food and non-food items have been distributed to affected persons and communities.

The food items include bags of rice, gallons of cooking oil, canned fish, tins of milk, sugar, tea bags, tomato paste, noodles.

While the non-food items distributed include blankets, mattresses, mosquito nets, mosquito coils, clothing, buckets, bowls and basins.

Government commends individuals and corporate organisations that have provided forms of support to help with the relief efforts.

It encouraged persons and organisations with donations to send them to the Greater Accra Regional Coordinating Council, near the Teachers Hall in Accra. – GBC

 

Daily Graphic

The three-day national mourning declared by the government in remembrance of the people who lost their lives in the floods and fire disaster in Accra last Wednesday begins Monday.

A statement issued in Accra yesterday and signed by the Minister of Communications, Dr Edward Omane Boamah, said all flags would fly at half-mast from today.

It urged Ghanaians and the general public to wear black or red arm bands and clothing to mourn with the families of the victims of the disaster.

"The three days of mourning will end on Wednesday June 10 with a memorial service for the departed near the site of the fire disaster at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle to be attended by President John Dramani Mahama," the statement added.

"As we go about our work and other duties during the 3 days, let us remember the victims and pray for their souls and pray for strength and comfort for their families and friends," it said.

The statement said the government had taken responsibility for the hospital bills of all victims of the flood and fire as directed by the President.

In addition, it said, water, food and non-food items had been distributed to affected persons and communities.

The food items, it said, included bags of rice, gallons of cooking oil, canned fish, tins of milk, sugar, tea bags, tomato paste, noodles, among others whereas the non-food items distributed included blankets, mattresses, mosquito nets, mosquito coils, clothing, buckets, bowls and basins.

The statement commended individuals and corporate organisations that have provided various forms of support to help with the relief efforts.

It encouraged persons and organisations with donations to send them to the Greater Accra Regional Coordinating Council, near the Teachers Hall in Accra.

Deceased

As of last Friday, 150 dead bodies had been found. At the close of the search and rescue efforts which ended at 6 p.m. yesterday, 10 more bodies had been found.

The President, addressing the press last Thursday evening after a national crisis and emergency meeting at the Flagstaff House, had said the government had allocated GHtf50 million to cover relief and humanitarian operations, detailing and clearing of water courses and repair of infrastructure.—Graphic online