ALL VISA APPLICANTS ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO SUBMIT THEIR APPLICATIONS AND PASSPORTS FOR VISAS TWO WEEKS TO ONE MONTH PRIOR TO THE INTENDED DATE OF DEPARTURE.
Types of Visas issued by the Embassy are:
- A1 - Diplomatic Visa....................For Diplomatic passport Holders only (Gratis)
- A2 - Official Visa.........................For Official Passport Holders only (Gratis)
- B1 - Business Visa.......................For Business
- B2- Tourism visa .......................For tourism, holidays and normal visits
- C - Transit Visa..........................For transit
- F1 - Education Visa......................For students/study visits
- H1 - Voluntary Work.....................For work on voluntary basis.Conference
- G1 - International Organisations..... For staff of recognised International Organisations
- I2 - Press accreditation.................For media personnel undertaking an approved project
An applicant shall complete a visa application form in duplicates (2 copies) and attach two(2) passport size photographs which were taken not more than three (3) months from the date of submitting the application.
An applicant should possess a return air ticket, which should be submitted upon request, in the case of an application for tourist visa.
An application for an official, business and student visa shall be submitted together with a letter of invitation from the principals in Ghana and or in U.S.A.
- Application for persons under eighteen (18) years shall be submitted together with a photocopy of orginal birth certificate, with a letter of consent from the parents, and a copy of parent`s photo ID.
In the case of journalist and or film crew who are covering an event or shooting a film in Ghana, the application shall take two weeks (14 days) for processing. In addition, such an applicant shall complete another form to indicate the nature of coverage and equipment to be taken to Ghana. Upon arrival in Ghana, such applicant shall call at the Information Services Department for accreditation.
When an application for a visa is turned down, the visa-issuing officer is not obliged to offer any explanation. An applicant may however re-apply for a review.
NOTE: APPLICANTS MUST INCLUDE THEIR PASSPORTS AS PART OF THEIR APPLICATIONS, AS ALL VISAS, IF ISSUED, ARE INSERTED INTO THE PASSPORTS.
Money order, Cashier's check or Certified bank check made payable to the Embassy of Ghana.
Note: Personal and company checks are not accepted.
ECOWAS citizens (Economic Community of West African States) Gratis
An expedited/emergency service will take 5 business days.
NOTE: If mailed a visa might take longer than twenty-four (24) hours to reach the applicant.
Visa application fees are non-refundable.
ln accordance with INTERNATIONAL SANITARY REGULATIONS all persons entering Ghana are requested to have a valid certificate of immunization against yellow fever.
Do not submit your certificate together with visa application form. Keep it and present it at the port of entry in Ghana.
Submit the following documents:
- Completed visa application form - Download Form
- Valid passport for at least six (6) months (Before Expiration)
- Evidence of financial support or letter of invitation from host in Ghana
- Visa Fee - money order, postal order, cashiers check or certified bank check
- Two passport-size photographs of applicant. Should be taken at least within the last three months (Very Important)
- Affix each photograph with glue on the top right comer of the application form.
- Applications submitted by mail must be accompanied by prepaid self-addressed overnight, trackable envelope ( FEDEX) for return of passports. Only requests accompanied by certified prepaid return envelopes will be processed.
- Send the completed application to:
- The Consular Section
- 3512 International Dr. NW
- Washington DC, 20008
These guidelines are subject to change as may be directed by the competent authorities in Ghana and apply to the Consulate General Office in New York.
- For those applying through the Honorary Consulate in Houston Texas, please call office number (1) 713 960 1950.
- Fax number is (1)713-960-8833.
For further information please contact:
Please do not call, the email is the only means to communicate with this section